homeAbout MeAdvertisecontact

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fate Vs. Nursing School

I'm not a hugely superstitious person nor am I hugely religous.

But sometimes I wonder just what the heck is going on ever since I started nursing school.

You see, school was going great up until nursing school. I was making A's, working 30-36 hrs a week, paying all my bills, spending time with friends and so on.

Then nursing school happened
and the bad stuff started.

Exhibit 1:
First Semester

There are so many things that happened first semester.
I think the first thing was that I had a horrible home situation. I basically had to stay in my room at all times, and even got yelled at for drinking too much milk. Then, I was homeless for a short time.
The first major thing that happened was that the radiator went out in my car. I already had cut down my hours to about 15 a week at work so I was freaking out! Cody, the amazing man that he is, got me a ride to work and then drove my car to the mechanic, one mile at a time. The car kept overheating so he had to stop the car and let it cool down (which took about 30 minutes) and then drive another mile and repeat. 

We hadn't been together long, but he was without his car, so he was basically staying at my house and we were stuck with just my car and kind of sharing. 

Then, my mom had to get her hip replaced. First, I was told I was a bad person because I didn't sit in the waiting room at 4am to wait on her surgery. My mom had told me not to because it was my only day to sleep in and I was exhausted and neither of us saw the point in me sitting in the waiting room. So, I went up there later that day. I got yelled at by my grandfather because my grandma had hurt her foot while she was at the hospital waiting on my mom and apparently I had been signed up to take her car home, which is not something I knew. Sure glad that Cody was there to drive my car!

A patho test was the next week and I didn't do so great on it, because I had spent all weekend in the hospital with my mom, who was kind of manic at the time. Oh, and moving stuff out of my house because I was kind of told not to come home.

Then, later that semester, I got into a wreck that totaled my car. This was huge. That same weekend, I moved into Cody's (Thank god he was there and offered because I was going to end up living out of a hotel room) and a test was the next week. I didn't do so great on that one either.

Fast forward a bit

Exhibit 2:
Second Semester

Second semester was a spring semester, so just after Christmas. Cody had proposed (YAY!) and my family basically told us we were idiots for getting married. Woot.

Classes were a struggle and my friends were majorly hurting my feelings, one in particular.

My brother was living with my mom and my mom would call me complaining about him not going to school or this or that and I'd rush over to help. This finally caused me and my mom to have a fight.

I had a nervous breakdown at a couple of points.

Fast forward to today.

Exhibit 3:
Third semester

Things are finally calm. I wrote off all the friends that I was being hurt by, which left me kind of alone as far as friends go but better alone than being treated horribly right?

I'm married and happy with Cody and we're struggling financially more than ever. His car has already had to have the transmission replaced and has a couple of more thousand in repairs before it's fully drive-able. 

Then, that wreck I talked about earlier? It's coming to bite me in the butt and it's leaving me in a tailspin.

I know that sometimes, life just seems to suck. The fact is, each semester I talked about, there are a thousand other little things that have brought me down. I have been shaken more than ever and questioning my decisions more than I ever thought I would. I've looked into dropping out, transferring schools and changing my major. 

I've been driving down the road on the way home from tests begging God for a sign that I'm meant to be a nurse (because for some reason, I talk to God a lot when I drive). That I'm on the path I'm meant to be on and have been left with crickets. 

I've told the devil to leave me alone. I've questioned everything and have had no answers at all. 

I honestly don't know if I'm meant to be a nurse. For every good day, there seems to be about five bad days and I'm getting to the end of my rope. I have to finish. If I stopped or switched now, I'd have to start all over and that just isn't an option. 

All I want is to have a happy life with my husband, with as few upsets as possible. I'd like to own our own house and have a couple of kids and raise them to have lives that Cody and I never got to have because of mistakes our families had made. 

Most of all though, I just want to be left alone to study and to enjoy my twenties because at this point, I'm going to look back and say that it was the most stressful time in my life.

(It does seem ironic that later this week, I will post about the first delivery I witnessed in the hospital, which happened before I wrote this post. Sometimes, I feel like it's more important for you to know my deeper thoughts.)


Photobucket
Have you met this amazing blogger?

17 comments:

Milla said...

Keep it up! I love working so much more than studying, it seems it is so much more stressful to study! I aso believe my 2nd year was the complete worse, so semester 3 and 4. So keep it up!

Unknown said...

Oh my word. Sounds exactly like the past year for me too!! The struggles suck. I know exactly how you feel. Your husband sounds like my boyfriend. That is so great to have. It sounds like you have made some really good changes. I hope things get better. Stick with it, nursing is a wonderful profession!

Anonymous said...

paige im so happy you chatted about this. struggles like this are def difficult to go through but thank goodness for such a loving man to have to keep your head on straight! i remember being in grad school and just freaking out at times too because i wasn't sure if i'd ever get through the tests, living back at home or being away from my zach (who was my fiance at the time) everything works out. promise. you're doing fabulous and we're all here for you! xo

Nikki said...

I didn't go to nursing school but I too have had my share of living, family and money troubles. You have a husband who loves you and you will get through it! Happy thoughts going your way!

Lisa said...

Keep on going! Honestly, you might want to quit now, but you will never regret finishing nursing school. Hope things take a turn for the better :)

Desirae said...

Geeze, you have definitely had a lot on your plate.
I've been in a place where I have questioned everything, not knowing if what I am doing is right or wrong or where I am supposed to be taking it. From my experience, God only gives you things that you can handle. Its the devil putting all of the bumps in your road. Keep on truckin' girl, you are doing awesome.

Anonymous said...

Paige. Don't Quit. Whatever you do, KEEP GOING. We need more GOOD nurses. Trust me, when I'm on the floor running my little legs off, working countless hours of overtime because of staffing issues, I am counting on people like you to make it through and become nurses because we NEED you.

When I was in school. My first day, my intro to nursing teacher told us we needed to get rid of all the "sausage" in our lives. Of course, we laughed. Thinking, what the heck does sausage have to do with nursing. A lot actually. So you have a bag that will carry 10lbs of sausage, and nursing school accounts for about 8lbs of sausage... and your life counts for about 10lbs of sausage. You need to get rid of about 8lbs of sausage, right? So... make room for the sausage in your bag. Except get into the mind set that the 8lbs of sausage you already have for nursing school is non-negotiable. You just have too much sausage.

DON'T GIVE UP! DON'T DO IT!

Katlyn Larson said...

Sometimes it freaks me out how much we relate... I may not know much about the stresses of nursing school but my sister-in-law has went through them and I know she didn't always have the best of times. Now that she's done though, she has been doing amazingly and is amazing and passionate about her job!

I've learned that people do let you down, even your family.. And it does really suck!! It's hurtful and we don't understand it but at those moments in our life we have to realize that we have to be okay with ourselves. Find a way to de-stress yourself and relax. If push comes to shove just tune out the negative people for awhile. And if you EVER need to talk about anything you know I'm here for you! I love you girl! ♥

Kim S said...

See? This is why we need to meet up and hang out. I wish I could give you a hug! I totally know how it feels for school to be taking over your life, but I think that your love of nursing will keep you going. You have an amazing supportive man, and you're going to be SUCH an amazing nurse! You know that if you ever need anything, let me know!!

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

Don't give up! God doesn't give you anything you can't handle, and it sounds like you are incredibly strong. Nursing school is hard, but in the end, you will be doing what you love and it is rewarding (I promise!).

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that you have run into so much bad luck lately, but if I had done what fate was pointing me towards, my life would be completely different. I would be married to the love of my life, but I would have had to give up my dream of being in the military. I decided to go against the grain and do something that didn't seem like it was in the card. I don't know if it as right yet, but I think I'm going to find that it is. Ride it out. It will be worth it.

Mia @ The Chronicles of Chaos said...

I'm so sorry, Paige, that you've been having a rough time (understatement of the year!), but it sounds like you've got a super supportive, loving husband on your side. I don't know a thing about nursing school, but I think the things we want most in life are usually the most difficult, so stay strong and keep your head up, lady!! You can always vent to us, your loyal readers. :) Hugs!

raeanne said...

Hang in there!!!!! It will be worth it, and you will be glad you did. Everyone doubts -- I do feel for you. I was 40 when I went back to school - for nursing. Our youngest child was a senior in high school -- her best friend was killed in a car accident. Awful, awful time for the rest of the year. I will be stopping by again and hope to read that things are starting on the upswing for you.

Unknown said...

You are where you are suppose to be, because if you weren't, the devil wouldn't be working so hard to make you doubt that you aren't. We all face tough times in life. Keep your head up and keep pushing through!

Chelsea Olivia said...

I feel like the big question you're asking is something that only you can answer, and it should be a pretty straightforward answer as well. Do you LIKE nursing? Do you WANT to be a nurse for the rest of your life? If yes, then yes.. you should be a nursing student. Life has it's ups and downs, hopefully you'll be on the up soon enough my love. xoxo

Kelly said...

Keep your head in there. It sounds like you've managed to overcome the obstacles that were facing you your first semesters, by moving out and settling down with Cody. It seems to me like you're on the right track, and things just need to cool down. I really think it is meant to be, because look how far you've come with the struggles you faced the past year? But really, it is a personal decision and you'll have to look introspectively to decide if this is something you really enjoy or not. I think the biggest thing is that you need to like your job. You're going to spend 40+ hours a week at it for about 40 years of your life. That is a LONG time. If you're doing something you love, you will be able to get by no matter how much you're struggling outside of work, because work will give you the strength to sort everything else out. If you don't enjoy your job, and you're struggling outside of that, then it's just a downward spiral.

I know I've gone through sometimes where I questioned if what I am doing is really the right thing for me. I still don't have an answer.

Keeping you in my thoughts!

Zena said...

Keep on going and try to see what all this is trying to show you, what you need to learn from this situation. Things happen for a reason and maybe you have to change something, but it can be not your choices, but maybe your attitudes, viewpoints or your inner vision of things or perhaps the only thing you have to do is change your mind and start to see brighter side of your life and to focus on it...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis