After all, if you like what you do, you never work a day in your life right?
Almost everyone I talked to with different jobs said that they liked their jobs but there were some complaints…except nurses that is.
It really stuck out to me that nurses, for the most part, loved their jobs. They loved the flexibility of hours, how they didn’t just sit at a desk and stare at the same four walls every day and most of all, they loved touching other people’s lives.
Nurses touch people in a way that not many other people do. Not that those jobs aren’t important, but think about the nurses in your lifetime. Maybe you had an amazing one with your kids that made doctor visits not so bad or a nurse sat with you when you found out about a terminally ill parent and made it just a bit better. Maybe that nurse treated your terminally ill parent with the respect and dignity they deserve and it really left an impression on you. Good nurses are remembered.
I mean, sure, as a nursing student I complain sometimes. Getting a nursing degree is hard but at the same time it’s so rewarding. There are days that I just don’t feel like I can keep going. I’ve been studying for hours, staring at the same book over and over and over. I’ve been working on care plans for hours and then I go to my clinical and my teacher just lays it out and I’m left wondering “How are on Earth does she just know that?” and it makes me feel like there is stuff just flying over my head.
Then a patient really sticks out to you. I have one patient that thanked me for listening to his life story and for helping him understand where he needed to go in life. I didn’t do much, I just listened but that made an impression on him. Then I delivered my first baby and got to be part of a huge event in that family’s life. Then friends started asking me what to do and when they should go to the doctor and it makes me feel like I’m doing something truly important. At the end of the day, I love what I do even through all the hard schooling.
I truly have no idea where I’d be without nursing. Nursing has made me such a happier person and even more than that, it will lead to so much security for my family. There are just so many benefits to a nursing degree and I, for one, am so glad that I made this decision for myself and my family. If you’ve ever thought about being a nurse but aren’t sure about it, please do some research or if you’d like, send me an email and we can talk about it.


Have you met this amazing blogger?








6 comments:
Oh yes, the nurses in the labor and delivery unit when I was having Emma were amazing. Especially one, Gina. I thank her so much for her support. She was so kind to me and made me feel so much better than I would have expected.
I really admire you for your dedication and passion to what you do! I have had some incredible nurses over the year and do think it sounds like a very rewarding career, though it's not the right one for me. I feel like, to me, you know you're in the right field when you can't imagine working towards anything else and being happier/more fulfilled/feeling like it's a better track than what you're doing now. That's how I feel about ministry (I'm working towards becoming a pastor) and seems to be how you feel about nursing, too!
I totally agree with you about nurses and the importance of nurses in the health profession. For the most part, when I or someone close to me has had to be hospitalized, I remember the nurses and honestly, sometimes I can't remember the doctors. The nurses are the ones how make or break the experience. Their kindness can be the entire difference. Yay Nurses!!!
Sorry for the types in comment! Geez! Who not how!
Love the photo of your ring and the stethoscope! That is one I have never seen before! :)
I am visiting via Better Blogger Network where I just became a member! I saw your interview post and thought I should stop by and check out your blog!
Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
Nurses, good nurses, are incredible. Best of luck! Thanks for hosting!
Post a Comment